Best Practice Guidelines for Safe (Un) Loading of Road Freight Vehicles covering Technical, Behavioural and Organisational Aspects
ID 1144 | 11.10.2021 / Corrigendum September 2021
These Cefic/ECTA/FECC Guidelines offer best practice guidance regarding the safety of loading and unloading operations of road freight vehicles from a technical, behavioral and organizational point of view.
They replace the previous BBS Guidelines for the safe loading and unloading of road freight vehicles of March 2007.
The objective of these guidelines is to provide assistance in the prevention or elimination of unsafe conditions and situations during (un)loading operations by promoting best practice, recognizing the need for interaction between the different parties involved.
The scope of these guidelines includes the safe loading and unloading of chemical products by operators and drivers at production sites, storage terminals, warehouses and customers. They cover the loading and unloading of liquid bulk, dry bulk as well as packed goods.
- Page 10: updated hyperlink to the best practices guidelines on working at height.
Table of Contents
Scope and objectives
Part A: Organizational and Behavioural aspects
1. Behaviour Based Safety
2. Roles and responsibilities
3. SQAS and ESAD
4. Emergency response plan
5. Applicable legislation
6. Communication skills of drivers and operators
Part B: Technical aspects
7. Technical requirements (un)loading sites
8. SULID: Site (Un)Loading Information Document
9. Information, instructions and training for drivers and operators
10. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
11. Unloading scenario’s bulk liquid
12. Couplings and hoses for bulk liquids and gasses
Part C: Annexes
1. Annex 1: Example Risk assessment for Bulk Solids Unloading sites
2. Annex 2: Pictorial examples of Access/ Egress to the (un)loading area
3. Annex 3: Examples Behaviour Based Safety Observation reports
4. Annex 4: Roles and Tasks for load securing in Cargo Transport Units
5. Annex 5: Hierarchy and lists of applicable legislation
6. Annex 6: Best Practice Guidelines
7. Annex 7: Examples of Risks and Risk mitigation for (un)loading operations
8. Annex 8: (Un)loading expressions / list in English
9. Annex 9: Examples of pictographic loading instructions