Multilateral Agreement M317: Medical waste of Category A
This multilateral agreement is seeking a derogation from the provisions of ADR relating to the transport of solid medical or clinical waste of Category A transported for disposal. It seeks the to introduce the provisions for such waste which have been developed and agreed to by the UN Sub-Committee of Experts for the Transport of Dangerous Goods for incorporation into the UN Model Regulations Rev.21.
The multilateral agreement specifies that such waste may be carried under UN 3549 MEDICAL WASTE, CATEGORY A, AFFECTING HUMANS, solid or MEDICAL WASTE, CATEGORY A, AFFECTING ANIMALS only, solid under the provisions defined/stated in items/paragraphs (2) to (7) within MLA317.
Date of expiry: 31 December 2020
Multilateral Agreement M317 Under section 1.5.1 of ADR Concerning the carriage of solid medical or clinical waste, Category A
(1) By derogation from the provisions of ADR, solid medical or clinical waste, Category A transported for disposal may be carried under UN 3549 under the provisions defined/stated in items/paragraphs (2) to (7) as follows:
(2) It is carried by using the following UN number, Proper Shipping Name and Class assignment:
|UN No||Name and description||Class|
|3549||MEDICAL WASTE, CATEGORY A, AFFECTING HUMANS, solid or
MEDICAL WASTE, CATEGORY A, AFFECTING ANIMALS only, solid
(3) Assignment of Category A solid medical waste transported for disposal shall be done according to the following classification principles:
3.1 Medical or clinical wastes are wastes derived from the veterinary treatment of animals, the medical treatment of humans or from bio-research.
3.2 Medical or clinical waste containing Category A infectious substances shall be assigned to UN 2814, UN 2900 or UN 3549 as appropriate. Solid medical waste containing Category A infectious substances generated from the medical treatment of humans or veterinary treatment of animals may be assigned to UN 3549. The UN 3549 entry shall not be used for waste from bio-research or liquid waste.
3.3 Category B infectious substances shall be assigned to UN 3291.
(4) The solid medical waste shall be packed in conformity with the packing provisions in annex I or II.
(5) The requirements of Chapter 6.1 and 6.6 for the construction and testing of packagings and large packagings apply.
(6) The following statement shall be included in the transport document: “Carriage agreed according to section 1.5.1 of ADR (M317)”.
(7) This agreement shall be valid until 31 December 2020 for the carriage on the territories of those ADR Contracting Parties signatory to this agreement. If it is revoked before then by one of the signatories, it shall remain valid until the above-mentioned date only on the territories of those Contracting Parties signatory to this Agreement which have not revoked it.