M316 Working pressure of composite cylinders intended for the carriage of hydrogen (UN 1049)
1. By derogation from the provisions of 220.127.116.11 of ADR, the minimum burst ratio (burst pressure divided by test pressure) for composite cylinders intended for the carriage of hydrogen is equal to 1.5. Therefore, the cylinders can be filled and carried at a working pressure of 4/3 Po, where Po is the working pressure not exceeding 525 bar, calculated in accordance with the packing instruction P200 of ADR. The conditions in 2 below shall be met.
2. This agreement only applies to fully wrapped carbon fiber cylinders complying with the following requirements:
2.1. The cylinders shall be designed and manufactured in accordance with EN 12245: 2009 +A1:2011, fulfilling the tests as required in the following Annex.
2.2. The cylinders shall be used in bundles or MEGCs or battery-vehicles to be protected from external impact by the frame.
2.3. The following marks shall be applied:
- on each cylinder, the mark confirming the approval for PW = Po bar,
- on the bundle or MEGC or battery-vehicle data plate, in addition to the PW = Po bar marking, the indication of PW = 4/3 Po bar followed by M316 and the stamp and identification number of the inspection body approved by a competent authority which has signed this agreement.
2.4. The bundles or MEGCs or battery-vehicles shall be equipped with a main valve designed, manufactured and tested for at least 4/3 Po bar service pressure.
2.5. After 2.5 years from the date of signature of this multilateral agreement, an evaluation is performed to consider any operational issues such as defects during inspection at the time of filling. In addition, a bursting test on a representative sample may be performed to assess the resistance of cylinders is not impaired by ageing.
3. This agreement shall be valid until 31 December 2023 for the carriage on the territories of the ADR Contracting Parties signatory to this agreement. If it is revoked before that date by one of the signatories, it shall remain valid until the above mentioned date only for carriage on the territories of those ADR Contracting Parties signatory to this agreement which have not revoked it.
Multilateral Agreement in English